What Is Included In A Mommy Makeover?
The mommy makeover is one of today's most popular combination plastic surgery techniques, designed specifically to address common issues faced by women who have been through pregnancy and breastfeeding. The surgical technique has found its way into mainstream media with it becoming the procedure of choice among Hollywood elite.
"Mommy makeover" is a catch-all phrase that refers to a specialized combination of body contouring procedures, performed together to improve the physical changes that linger long after pregnancy. One reason for its popularity is that the mommy makeover has no set components; each procedure is custom-tailored to fit the individual patient's unique needs. However, the surgical approach generally starts with a breast and abdomen contouring procedure, then adding additional elements as needed.
The components of a mommy makeover
As the breasts and abdomen are the primary areas of change with motherhood, a mommy makeover will often center around a breast and abdomen procedure. During pregnancy and breast-feeding, the breasts will also enlarge, increasing as much as a full cup size or more. However, returning back to 'normal' can mean a significant loss in breast volume and noticeable sagging. Throughout a pregnancy, the abdominal muscles, skin and tissues stretch to safely accommodate the growing baby. Unfortunately, after childbirth, these layers may not bounce back to their taut, pre-baby shape.
Your mommy makeover may include:
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction
- Tummy Tuck
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty
Breast implants can restore fullness and lost volume, while a breast lift helps to lift sagging skin for improving shape. Today's breast augmentation is safer and more effective than ever before, with many surgeons utilizing the Keller Funnel as a touch-free method to reduce the chance for infection and capsular contracture. For those with disproportionately large, uncomfortable breasts, a breast reduction surgery can create a smaller, more ideal appearance.
To further improve the figure, commonly added techniques can include the abdominoplasty (also known as a tummy tuck, a circumferential abdominoplasty and liposuction. However, women do not have to stop here; a mommy makeover can also include a thigh lift, arm lift or a Brazilian butt lift. Depending on the individual surgeon and the recommended set of procedures, a mommy makeover can be performed during one single operation, or for safety reasons, may be spread out over multiple surgical sessions.
10 things you need to know about the mommy makeover
- The mommy makeover will be performed as an outpatient surgery – This allows you to recover at home. For additional assistance during the first 24 hours, your surgeon may recommend an overnight recovery suite.
- Your recovery can take from one to two weeks – Although this will depend on the specific procedures included in your mommy makeover, plan on your recovery taking up to two weeks, during which time you will be sore, bruised and swollen.
- You will need help around the house – You will be tired and tender for several days after your mommy makeover, making routine chores impossible; enlist assistance around the house from a family member or friend.
- No driving until certain pain medications have been stopped – Your surgeon will prescribe the necessary pain medications for a comfortable recovery, however, do not get behind the wheel while taking narcotics.
- Swelling can last for six months or longer – While some benefits of a mommy makeover are immediate, the full results cannot be assessed until all swelling has subsided; this will take from six months to a year.
- No heavy lifting, including babies – Vigorous exercise and heavy lifting should be avoided for at least six weeks after your mommy makeover; this includes carrying babies and children over 10 pounds.
- A mommy makeover is for non-smokers – Smoking decreases circulation, delaying wound healing and substantially increasing the chance for serious complications to occur; stop smoking for at least four weeks before and four weeks after your mommy makeover. Better yet, use this as a reason to stop smoking altogether.
- You will still need gym time – To ensure the results from your mommy makeover are long-lasting, stick with a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and routine exercise schedule.
- Only choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of ASPS – The mommy makeover is a combination of invasive techniques, so choose the best and most experienced plastic surgeon available; never risk your health and safety to cut corners or save money.
- Get ready for a serious boost in self-confidence – Your mommy makeover will be life-changing, restoring confidence and pride in your appearance.
Your personalized mommy makeover
The mommy makeover is ideal for bringing a post-baby body back to its pre-pregnancy shape. The best way to learn about the mommy makeover procedure is to begin with at-home research. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) has all of the details needed to get you started. When you are ready to take the next step, find a reputable, board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule an in-person consultation. At this time, your surgeon will determine the exact cost of your mommy makeover, as well as discuss payment options and the possibility for health care financing.