What Is Sex?
Sex means different things to different people. Above all, it is a healthy and natural activity. It is something most people enjoy and find meaningful even if they create meaning in different ways.
Whether you are straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer or questioning, you have the right to decide what sex means to you.
Are you unsure about your sexual interests? Are you curious about what you might enjoy? Are you wondering if you are ready for sex? These kinds of questions are perfectly normal!
Sex is not just vaginal* intercourse. Sex is pretty much anything that feels sexual. How YOU choose to define sex might be a moving target during your teen years. Your sexual interests may change over time, and that’s okay too.
I find it hard to talk about sex. Is there anything I can do to make it easier?
- A simple place to start the chat is with yourself.
- Take some time to privately explore all parts of your own body. While you are at it, think about what thoughts, fantasies and sensations feel good for you and how you might like to experience sexual pleasure with someone else.
Sex just doesn’t feel right for me. Is that okay?
- Yes, this is definitely ok. Only you can decide what feels right for you when it comes to sex.
- You have the right to say no to sex. No one can or should force you to do something that doesn’t feel right.
- If, for example, vaginal sex is not something you want to do, there are many other ways to explore your sexuality and enjoy a fun and loving relationship with someone else
What does “sexual activity?” mean?
- Sexual activity is any activity that is considered sexual by the people who are involved. It can include the following activities and more:
- vaginal sex
- anal sex
- any sexual touching
- oral sex
- exposing your body to another person
- taking sexual pictures of another person
- showing somebody pornographic images
- and more!
Our Sex of the website will help you learn some of the basics about sex such as:
- Putting on external condoms, or using glove or dental dams.
- Making sex feel good.
- How to talk about sex with a partner.
- Negotiating consent and knowing more about why it’s very important.
- Oral, anal, and vaginal sex.
Read on and have fun exploring the wonderful world of sex!