“I Had An Abortion Without Telling My Husband”
Mothers who never wished for a second, third or fourth child often fall into a terrifying dilemma – "Should I do it, or not?; "Do I tell him about it, or shall I let it be?" Secret abortions are undeniably present in some marriages and in our society. This is the 21st century after all – where others tend to judge those who appear to be judgemental (ironically) when it comes to imperative issues such as abortion. Nonetheless, it is our duty to help mothers who have trouble dealing with unwanted pregnancy.
Who are we to judge?
Some of you might be going through this conundrum at the moment; is it right, is it wrong beyond comprehension? Here's my two cents: do what you feel is right – your definition of right.
Let's take a look at some real life accounts of women who have done it, then hid it; and why they chose to make that decision alone.
Reasons why some women look at abortion as an option
- Birth control (contraceptive) failure. Over half of all women who have an abortion used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.
- Inability to support or care for a child.
- To end an unwanted pregnancy.
- To prevent the birth of a child with birth defects or severe medical problems. Such defects are often unknown until routine second-trimester tests are done.
- Pregnancy resulting from rape or incest.
- Physical or mental conditions that endanger the woman's health if the pregnancy is continued.
To those who have done it, you might still be in shock; dumbfounded and appalled as to why you did it then hid it. Just know this – you made that decision – everything else that happens after that are ramifications; by-product of nature. Remind yourself that at that point of time, you wanted it because you felt it was the right thing to do. That's all that matters.
*Names are changed to maintain confidentiality