22 Ways You'Re Winning At Motherhood (Even If It Doesn'T Always Feel That Way)
As the saying goes, “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” Here are a few of those ways you’ve totally figured it out.
1. You no longer worry about kicking the caffeine habit. After all, the fact that you require coffee to become conscious every day is officially, medically acceptable.
2. You often accomplish more on a few hours of fragmented sleep than you used to in a week. (And you have a newfound respect for lawyers, doctors…)
3. You haven’t felt this close to your own mom since you were in nursery school.
4. You come across articles on slow parenting, free-range parenting, Dutch parenting and helicopter parenting, read them for the fun of it and then move on with your day.
5. You allow yourself to follow and unfollow Insta-perfect moms guilt-free, depending on whether you are having a good day or a bad one.
6. You’ve totally walked out of the house wearing mom jeans, shrugged and then thought, “Yes, but at least we’re out of the house today!”
7. You know exactly how to treat tushy sores and act totally chill around head lice — and have even humble-bragged about it on social media.
8. You’ve been peed on more times than a fire hydrant — and it no longer makes you even bat an eye.
9. You’ve wiped your baby’s boogers from his nose with your bare hands.
10. You have trusty tools for taming tantrums — and every once in a while they even work!
11. You’ve downed mashed root vegetables and turkey like a boss to encourage your little one to do the same.
12. You can cut a grape into fourths like nobody’s business (ditto raisins, craisins and prunes).
13. You’ve read, thought and probably cried about it, then concluded that how, what and where you feed your child is only something that should matter to you and your pediatrician.
14. Most days (except when they’re sick…or it’s raining…or you’re losing it…) you are well under the new AAP standard allowing for an hour of daily screen time. Because that’s a lot of Daniel Tiger.
15. You haven’t seen Moonlight or La La Land but you are pumped for the upcoming release of Cars 3 and Frozen 2.
16. You have made a consistent early bedtime the cornerstone of your life — sunsets, lightning bugs and fireworks be damned — and you’re so much more sane because of it.
17. You know that the “right” way to teach your kids to sleep is whatever feels comfortable for you and for them.
18. You look at the way your partner dressed your kid for the day, disapprove and then realize that as long as it’s weather-appropriate, it really doesn’t matter if the sweater is on backward, the tutu is from her dress-up box and the socks don’t match.
19. After months of trial and error, you’ve finally found a reliable date night sitter. One day, when you are able to stay up past 9:30 PM, you will definitely call her.
20. You’ve discovered that the right childcare situation can feel as valuable, complicated and intimate as the right marriage.
21. You take comfort in realizing that when you and your partner are able to have a good laugh about how little sex you’re having, it’s almost — almost — as fun as having sex itself.
22. You know dragons love tacos, they always find Knuffle Bunny and crayons can quit — but you still act surprised every time.
Don't Worry, You're Not Alone
10 GIFS That Hilariously Get What It Means to Be a Working Mom
"I Tell Them That the Ice Cream Truck Plays Music When It Is out of Ice Cream."
Funniest Parenting Tips From the Parenting Confessional
Imitation Is the Highest Form of Flattery
Hilarious Mom Takes Celeb Parents' Instagrams and Makes Them More, Ahem, Realistic