10 People Vent About Their Friends' Significant Others (Who Truly Sound Toolish)
Not everybody is going to like your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife. In fact, it’s entirely possible that some of your closest friends will truly despise him or her—though they might not tell you about it as soon as they should (or ever), because they’re worried that if they talk with you about their feelings on the matter, you could take offense and/or disagree...which could significantly damage your friendship.
We can all probably relate to being on either side of this, so we decided to give some people a chance to vent (anonymously, of course) about what they dislike about a friend’s significant other. Why? Because it just feels really good to let it out sometimes.
1. "A guy my friend has been dating for almost a year now is just terrible. He’s very jealous and paranoid, and doesn’t trust her at all. She’s not really permitted to have male friends who weren’t his friends first. This is a problem for me, since I am a guy who has been friends with her for almost a decade. She’s never given him the tiniest reason to not trust her, but he still thinks that every guy around her wants to fuck her, and that she might be into cheating on him, even though she isn’t."
2. "My best friend’s girlfriend flirts all the time, with pretty much anyone. It’s disgusting and awkward to be around, because I can see that my friend is totally aware of this, and that he’s uncomfortable when he sees it happening. I just can’t understand why he puts up with it, and if he’s brought it up to her, I don’t know about it. I should really talk to him, but it’s something that could really turn into a bad conversation between us. He’s in love with her, and I don’t think he’d take too kindly to me pointing out this very visible problem."
RELATED: 7 People in Long Term Relationships Share What They Miss About Being Single
3. "So, a co-worker and friend of mine has been dating this girl for a while, and they recently got pretty serious. Which sucks, because I don’t really like her at all. She’s dramatic, like one of those people who is always looking for something to throw off the balance of a relationship that, especially this early, should be mostly easy-going. Like, if he doesn’t do exactly what she wants him to do, or go where she wants to go, she makes a huge deal out of it. It’s like she’s taking pride in being able to manipulate him emotionally, and in making him do whatever she wants. Their whole thing seems like she’s the one in power, and my buddy just takes her terrible shit without fighting back. He’s a wet blanket. I dunno why. He says she’s really good in bed, so that probably has something to do with it."
4. "My friend’s boyfriend is one of those people who has to one-up you on every single thing you talk about, every story you tell. It’s so bad that a few of us have started making up stories and telling them at happy hours, just to see how he’ll come up with a way to one-up them. No matter what, he always tries, even if his stories are clearly made up or at least really, really embellished. The sad thing about this is my friend knows we do this, and just laughs it off like it’s no big deal. One of these days, I want to bring some stranger to a party and have him or her tell a story about how they climbed Mount Everest, just to see if he’ll concede that he’s never done anything on that level."
5. "My best friend’s boyfriend does CrossFit, and like anybody who does CrossFit, he loves to talk about it, and he also always dresses like at any moment he might decide to head off to a CrossFit class, or whatever they call the time a person spends doing CrossFit. He’s probably the only guy I know who wears Lululemon stuff, and he’s also always giving us unsolicited tips about nutrition while we’re eating bar food. He is the worst."
6. "My friend’s live-in girlfriend has copped to cheating on him several times, but he tells me that they have been 'working through it.' I didn’t like her to begin with, because she’s very self-centered and stuck-up. I’m going to have to talk with him about it soon. He’s probably not going to take it well, but I also don’t know how I can keep being friends with him if they end up getting married."
7. "My friend’s girlfriend seemed okay at the beginning of things. She was nothing special, but nothing terrible either. But then she started to get really, really overprotective and jealous, to the point where my friend, who was my roommate for a while during the earlier stages of their relationship, wasn't allowed to be around other girls. And he let this happen! We would have girls over to the apartment and he would leave immediately. She’s still like this today, and the thing that’s extra strange about it is this guy is not a huge catch or anything. He’s not beating other women away with a stick. This girl isn’t dating George Clooney."
8. "This dude my friend is dating is a total hippie, and he’s definitely changing the way she’s living her life. I’d be surprised if she’s still shaving her armpits or any other part of her body. If you want to be that way, it’s fine, but I can’t stand it when they preach to me about how I should be eating vegan, meditating and giving some of my paycheck to GreenPeace. I almost slapped him the other day when he tried to tell me that weed would help me have some of the most interesting conversations of my life."
9. "My best friend’s girl is like 29 going on 21. She’s so immature and annoying, but breathtakingly hot, you know? So he puts up with it. But I can’t even stand to be around her. She’s really basic, too—like, her Instagram profile reads like a teenager’s Tumblr or AIM profile. There are lots of emo quotes mixed with very lame inspirational quotes."
10. "My buddy does pretty well for himself, and is one of our only friends who really makes an impressive amount of money. And boy, does his girlfriend like his money. Yes, I am saying that she is a gold digger. They even broke up briefly when my friend was between jobs, then got back together right around the time he accepted a new offer. The magic of love, right? I don’t know how he didn’t put that one together, and what am I supposed to say to him? You can’t tell one of your best friends you think a girl likes him just for his money!"