Treating Migraines Naturally During Pregnancy
How do you treat migraines naturally during pregnancy?
Migraines are intense headaches that can occur as a symptom of pregnancy. The hormone changes in your body can make you more prone to experiencing migraines during pregnancy. This makes questions about how to treat migraines naturally while expecting common.
Symptoms of migraines during pregnancy include nausea, sensitivity to light, vomiting, dizziness, and “auras,” which are spots or lines that can occur across one’s vision. The pain can sometimes make it difficult to focus, and symptoms can be debilitating.
Natural Ways to Treat Migraines During Pregnancy
There are several ways you can alleviate the pain of migraines naturally while expecting.
Here are some techniques you can try:
- Dark Room — Often, a migraine can make you sensitive to bright lights. Find a dark room, and turn off any electronics.
- Nap — Lying down to take a short nap can help alleviate migraines. Many people report that an hour nap is often enough to stop the pain.
- Cold Pack — While lying down, place a cold pack or damp towel on your head. The cold should constrict blood vessels in your head and help alleviate the pain.
- Relaxation Techniques — Talk to your doctor about relaxation exercises that are safe during pregnancy. Relaxing the muscles around your back, neck, and head can release the pressure causing the migraine.
- Take care of yourself — Sometimes, migraines can be set off by dehydration, tiredness, not eating well, or lack of sleep. Try to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle, which can help mitigate the symptoms of migraines.
How to Treat Migraines During Pregnancy when Naturally doesn’t Work
Sometimes, a migraine might continue to plague you, even after you have tried the above remedies. If the pain persists, you can take Tylenol; however, it is important to avoid Aspirin and Ibuprofen. These are not safe to take during pregnancy. If the migraines become a constant nuisance, you may want to talk to your doctor about alternative medications that are safe to take during pregnancy. You can learn more about which medications are safe during pregnancy here.
If you currently take pain medication for migraines, it is best to discuss with your doctor whether it is safe to continue using. It is best to avoid using any herbal remedies to alleviate migraines during pregnancy, as many have not been tested, and some have been shown to lead to complications.