10 Surprising Penis Facts Every Man Should Know
It’s most likely one of the favourite parts of your own body, but how much do you actually know about your penis? We talk to sex and relationship expert Tracey Cox for the launch of Lovehoney’s new BlowYo, to wrap our, uhh, heads around these mind blowing facts.
- The tissue that surrounds the penis is more durable than the tissue that surrounds the brain.
- Men ejaculate at a speed of around 25-28 miles an hour. Ejaculation lasts about 0.8 seconds and comes from between three to ten spurts. Between half and one teaspoon is what the average man ejaculates.
- Teenage erections last for up to an hour while the average man aged 20-40 can keep an erection for around 40 minutes. Between 66 and 70, you’re lucky to last seven minutes.
- Two in every thousand men can give themselves fellatio. The quality, however, is debatable.
- Testicles suddenly disappear during sex for a reason - they’re getting out of the way of any rough stuff. Clitorises do the same thing, ducking back under the hood if play gets too rough.
- Between the ages of 15 and 60, the average man will ejaculate 34 to 56 litres of semen containing 350 to 500 billion sperm cells.
- The size of the penis and how long a man lasts in bed is largely down to genetics. If a man’s father is well-endowed and can last for a long time in bed, chances are his son will have the same qualities!
- Having lots of sex is necessary to keep the penis healthy. Erections flood the penis with oxygen-rich blood, and oxygen is what keeps the muscle tissue inside healthy. A shortage of oxygen can lead to a build-up of collagen, which in turn negatively affects the erection.
- What makes it bent as a banana? Peyronie’s Disease, a bend or curve in the penis, affects up to 4% of the population, commonly men between 40 and 60. Whilst science is yet to determine the exact cause, it appears to be hereditary or caused by ‘trauma’, which can include ‘excessive’ masturbation or intercourse. Plaque or nodules - hardened tissue - form in the shaft of the penis as a result of too much action, causing it to bend.
- Smokers are twice as likely as non-smokers to become impotent. Another great reason to think twice before lighting that cigarette.